April 25, 2012

The Monanstery of Red Cap

Last year I ran a short campaign using Gamma World 4E. It was a lot of fun, most of the players had never played a tabletop RPG before and I hadn't run anything in over a year so it was more or less a shake-down cruise for everyone. After running through the terrible railroad that comes in the original boxed set I started writing the next adventure. Taking place in a local blown-out office building taken over by diminutive techno-fetishists in red haberdashery, I never finished the bottom floors. There's a still a lot of content and a few neutral factions to give it a more living-dungeon feel. Not so useful to anyone not running something 4E, although anyone with enough old GW stuff could probably replace the monsters with ease.

Red Caps! A Gamma World Adventure

I'm afraid the whole thing petered out in the end, killed by a combination of mismatched schedules, summer travel, and malaise. It cemented in my mind the things I love least about 4E, the risk of option paralysis, no space for a character to hang out-of-combat utility, and samey nature of many of the powers. But never mind all that! It's a fun little system, it out-gonzos a lot of other games and makes for crunchy, tactically interesting combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment